This Little Light of Mine

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Joy comes in the morning...

My apologies to those few out there who have been following Melissa's story.  This entry is long overdue.  Last week I traveled back to my second home in Port au Prince.  The trip was primarily planned to spend Melissa's first birthday with her.  How could I possibly miss this special milestone.  Secondarily, it was to meet some contacts and plan for a team that I was pulling together to come late April. 

Some of my Facebook friends were privy to the concerns that I had developed in the days leading up to the trip.  Usually my emotions are full of excitement and anticipation but not this time.  I wasn't sure if it was unknowns about the future of things with Melissa's mother showing up or the future of my role in ministries in Haiti.  All I was sure was that this trip was not feeling "right."  So what I always do when I feel like this is pray...pray...pray.  I prayed the Lord would take this trip and use it for HIS plan and glory.  I gave Greg a short list of things I'd like to do when I came and I readied for the trip. 

On the flight, I had some concentrated time to read the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan.



 It was exactly the word I needed to hear.  By the time I got off the plane in Port au Prince I was recharged and ready for God's plan.  It really focused me to surrender to God's love and plan for me in ALL things.  It occured to me as I finished this book, why so many fall in love with Haiti and discipling here.

In Haiti, you see and touch the face of God.  No lie!  It is here.  Tangible and real.  Nothing in the way to block your front row view.  Who wouldn't want more and more of that?  Crazy love is real and undistracted here. 

I must say at this point, I've really gotten a system to traveling into to Haiti alone.  Never thought a year ago the Lord would develop in me an ability to travel on my own to a third world country.  I'm the greatest "Chicken Little" that there ever was.  I truly think that the Lord will give us what we need when we are following his way.  So, without hesitation, I darted through immigration and customs and headed to the pickup area.  Greg greeted me and we waited for a team arriving that would be staying overnight at the guesthouse on their way to Les Cayes.  I was so excited when Greg showed me what he had for me.  My OWN Haitian phone!! Woo hoo!  Now, I felt like I was a more permanent part of this mission.  Don't laugh.  It really was big for me to have some sense of a long term place here when my heart calls me her time and again.  My passion continues to grow for my mission family in the Chadasha Foundation.  The group I represent Project Sharewood is a sister to Chadasha Foundation in many ways.  This group of God's faithful servants has blessed me so to welcome me into service with them.  Check them out at: http://www.chadasha.org/.  I'll speak more to some of their visions as this story progresses.  The Lord has called me to walk along side these incredible people.

On our way to the guesthouse, I had to laugh at myself as the Lord once again taught me to never say never.  While in Charlotte I believe, I watched an employee sweeping up litter outside on the tarmac/concourse.  He really was having to search for anything to sweep given the pristine look of the area.  I thought to myself, "you'd never see that in Haiti." 

<>

So as we were leaving the airport grounds, there in the turnabout, were 2 women sweeping up trash in the gutter.  WHAT?  They were a part of the work for food program that is becoming more popular in PaP.  I just had to laugh and remind myself that God IS at work here.  When I got to the guesthouse, it was like coming home.  Hugs and gifts were shared with my Haitian family and my heart was full.  Then, finally, Wilna (wonderful woman caring for Melissa) and Melissa arrived.  Heart skipped a beat. 

Sweet, sweet baby finally back in my arms...God is so good!


To be continued tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Chapman God heres your crys and He is answering them in more ways then you could have thought of. Patrice and I are praying for you and the angle you hold in your heart. your brother in God Glynn

    ReplyDelete

Pages